Tuesday 27 December 2016

Children queuing at the cinema.



I do not like this child gambit.
I do not like it. Not one bit.
I thought that I would drive my car
up to the local cinema
And while away an hour or so
Engrossed in something. I don't know -
Perhaps some fine adventure fare
With aviators in the air
Or love. Or better, love and war
Although we've seen it all before
In times like these it's good to go
And find a decent picture show
To sit back with a screen romance
Or, if you like, some song and dance.
Dystopia, if you so choose,
To mirror life and nightly news!
To think alone, lost in the dark
And come across a thread or spark
That surely must invigorate
my moribund thoughts of late.
But as I said, I do not like
When on whim I take the hike
Up to the local movie house
(though who am I to rail and grouse?!)
And turn the corner just to find -
and here, some horror comes to mind -
A queue! Or more a serpentine
Excited, squealing strange design
Comprised of nothing less or more
Of children and their parents poor
Who suffer, waiting foot and hand
On every tyrant in the land
Beneath the height of three foot two
(But what's a guardian to do?)
Well you can have it! All of you
For I will not now join your queue!
I'll wait until the darkness comes
By then you'll be in bed, my chums.
I'll loiter at the candy shelf
And have the damned place to myself!

Put a peephole in my brain...

No comments:

Post a Comment